From One Holyrood, Newport.
This is great for a sneaky cheese scone, or make it a regular fridge feature, it never last too long when we make this at home.
3 Red onions
125g Dark brown sugar
100ml Cider Vinegar
1tsp Vegetable oil
Salt & pepper
1.Slice the onions finely.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and cook until transparent – about 10 minutes
- Add the brown sugar and the vinegar and stir
- Cook over a low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking and season
- Put 3 jam jars into the oven set at 100C / gas mark ½ to sterilise
- When almost all the moisture has evaporated take the pan off the heat and pot.